Tuesday – Friday: 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Saturday: 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
What is Habitat for Humanity ReStore?
Habitat ReStore is a discount home improvement outlet that sells new, used, and surplus merchandise at prices 50-70% less than their retail cost. In addition to providing the public with low-cost building materials, Habitat ReStore helps the environment by diverting usable materials from local landfills.
Is Habitat ReStore open to the public?
Yes, everyone is welcome to shop, donate, or volunteer at Council Bluffs’ Habitat ReStore location.
Where does the merchandise come from?
Merchandise comes from donations by private individuals, local contractors, and local businesses.
How often does Council Bluffs’ Habitat ReStore outlet get new merchandise?
Donations come in on a daily basis, meaning the Habitat ReStore consistently has new merchandise for sale. Some items, such as paint, doors, windows and flooring are always in stock.
How are items priced at Habitat ReStore?
Habitat ReStore uses a price guideline that details most of the inventory. Most items are priced 50-70% less than new retail cost.
How are the proceeds from sales used?
Council Bluffs’ Habitat ReStore outlet donate 100% of the net proceeds to Habitat for Humanity of Council Bluffs to help build a stronger community.
How do I donate to Habitat ReStore?
The majority of the donations that we receive are dropped off during normal business hours of Tuesday – Friday from 10am to 5 pm or on Saturdays from 9am to 3 pm. The ReStore is closed on Sunday and Mondays. We ask that our donors refrain from dropping off items outside of our business hours as we want to make sure your donation is received and safely brought indoors without damage from the elements.
Here is a list of some of the items that we accept and are not able to accept.
Items We Love
- Building Materials
- Residential Doors and Windows
- Light Fixtures/Ceiling Fans
- Hand/Power Tools
- Large Appliances
- Plumbing Fixtures
- Home Décor/Some Household items
Items We Can’t Accept
- Hazardous/Flammable Chemicals
- TVs/Small Appliances/Electronics
- Mattresses/Box Springs
- Clothing/Drapes and curtains
- Unframed Glass or Mirrors
- Baby Items/Toys/Furniture/Car Seats
- Paint, thinners and stains
- Used Carpeting
- Water Heaters
- Oversized or Commercial Doors/Windows
- Cast Iron Tubs
- Scrap wood (under 6 foot in length)
- Items that are stained/torn/missing parts or needing repair
All the items we take must be:
- Reusable: The item must be made for use in or can easily be used directly in residential or light commercial construction, improvement, maintenance, or furnishing by the common home or small business owner.
- Structurally Sound & Complete: The item must be complete, intact, sturdy and free of damage.
- Functional: The item must be able to do what it was made to do. It needs to be ready to work “right off the shelf” without repair.
- Cosmetically Appealing: The item must be appealing for reuse “as is” in another person’s home, something you’d give to friends or family.
- Sellable: Our trained staff must determine that the item will sell in our store.
Does Council Bluffs Habitat ReStore have a pick up service?
Yes, we have a member of our staff do larger pick ups once or twice a week. Due to the fact that we have a very small staff, we ask that if your donation will fit in your vehicle, that you bring your donation to the ReStore. We will be happy to help to unload your donation and provide you with a donation receipt. If you have questions about our pick up service, please call 712-256-0838 .
If we are able to set up a donation pick up, please follow the guidelines below:
- Items must be at street level- in a garage or on a driveway
- Habitat ReStore will not enter your backyard to remove items
- Habitat ReStore will not enter you home to remove items
Are my donations tax-deductible?
Yes, you will be given a tax receipt that you will be able to use for deduction purposes.
Does Habitat ReStore place a value for tax purposes on donated items?
No, the value is determined by you and your accountant.
How can my business get involved?
Businesses can donate surplus inventory, reusable leftover material, or a supply of incorrectly ordered material. Please call our donation line at 712-256-0838 with any questions.
How can I get involved?
There are three ways to get involved with Habitat ReStore—donating, shopping and volunteering. There are a number of service opportunities at Council Bluffs’ Habitat ReStore outlet. Volunteers do everything from accepting and loading donations to answering the phone and working with customers. If you’re interested in donating or have questions about the ReStore, please call 712-256-0838.
Or if you would like to volunteer, please call 712-328-9476.